Propeller is a MainLine Theatre initiative supporting emerging Theatre, and Dance practitioners with five professional development sessions, each created to equip participants with the knowledge and tools needed to propel their careers forward and beyond the pandemic.
MainLine is searching for a cohort of 8-10 artists in the disciplines of Theatre or Dance actively pursuing a professional career who have education or equivalent experience on a community or professional level.This is a paid training opportunity! Selected participants will receive a total fee of $250.
Session Schedule* (90 mins each)
- Orientation Session. 7pm, March 23
- Session #1 – Market Your Best -Self/Navigating the performing arts industry. 7pm, April 6
- Session #2 – Developing Your Artistic Practice. 7pm, April 13
- Session #3 – Funding Your Art. 7pm, April 20
- Session #4 – Exploring Online Platforms and Technologies. 7pm, April 27
- Session #5 – Final Session – Content TBD. 7pm, May 4
Participants are responsible for pre-session preparation as outlined in the orientation session.
*Subject to change based on the needs of the applicants.
Eligibility & How to Apply
MainLine Theatre encourages participation from marginalized groups such as individuals who identify as IBPOC (Indigenous, Black, persons of colour), LGBTQ2S+, newly settled immigrants and those living with disabilities. There is a budget for accessibility considerations such as ASL, captioning or other accessibility requests potential applicants may have. We encourage those comfortable to self-disclose any accessibility considerations. Please note that sessions will be offered in English.
We also recognize that training can be done in many different ways, both institutional and community-based! We welcome applications from folks who have graduated from recognized theatre or dance programs/institutions within the past three years, Fringe-festival artist alumni, new artists to the province/city, self-made artists, community-based artists and more!Equal consideration will be given to all applicants. The intention of this program is to facilitate the transition of emerging artists into the professional performing arts industry.
Participants will be selected through a juried submission process. Applicants will be required to submit a CV and either a one-page letter of intent or a link (Youtube or Vimeo) to a video no longer than 3 min.
Participants are invited to consider the following questions/reflections when writing the letter:
- Introduce yourself to the jury
- Why are you interested in participating in Propeller?
- What are your skills and/or strengths that you are excited to share with a cohort?
- What knowledge are you interested in acquiring or what topics are you curious about?
- Anything else you would like to share with the jury.
The jury, composed of the Executive and Artistic Director and two artists from the MainLine Theatre community, will select a cohort of 8-10 participants.
Please send your CV and letter or video links to email@example.com before March 5 at 6pm.