Montreal, March 4th, 2020 – Taking advantage of the Big Top raising event, Cirque du Soleil is very proud to announce additional performances in Montreal for UNDER THE SAME SKY, presented by Sun Life Global Investments, between June 24 and August 16, 2020. Tickets for those performances are available as from today to Club Cirque members. They will go on general sale on March 20th at cirquedusoleil.com/underthesamesky.
A few facts about the Big Top:
- The Big Top seats more than 2,600 people.
- The entire site set up takes 8 days. In Montreal, 5 days have been added to the set-up schedule to allow enough time for the crew to remove the ice and snow from the Jacques-Cartier Pier. Over 100 truckloads of snow were removed from the site before the actual set up could begin.
- The Big Top stands at 19-meter high and is 51 metres in diameter.
- The 4 steel masts each stand at 25-meter tall.
- The white-coloured canvas helps counter the effects of the sun, thereby reducing energy consumption and minimizing greenhouse gas emissions.
- The showtravels via 65 trailer trucks carrying close to 2,000 tons of equipment
- Cirque du Soleil UNDER THE SAME SKY will tour with 122 employees.
- In every city the tour visits, almost 150 local employees will be hired to ensure good operations on site.
- A weather station is installed on top of one of the masts, monitoring the wind and the temperature.
Cirque du Soleil UNDER THE SAME SKY
The show, written and directed by Es Devlin and with Chantal Tremblay as the director of creation, will play under the Big Top in Montréal’s Old Port starting April 23. In UNDER THE SAME SKY, the audience will be touched by uplifting acrobatic choreography, startling physical theatre and moved by the vibrant musical score. Through Devlin’s exceptional creative lens, high-level acrobatics will be woven within a striking and disruptive visual universe. The show’s visionary approach will wow fans with monumental kinetic geometry glowing with vibrant color and light, bringing Cirque du Soleil on an exciting visual journey.
This new big top experience invokes the power of the human performance and communal experience which remain at the heart of all Cirque du Soleil creations. It is a meeting of visual art and human performance, a hymn to the vibrant communal experience that only a live show can offer.
WHY “UNDER THE SAME SKY”?
For its newest creation, Cirque du Soleil has chosen a sentence to name the show and not a single word as is customary. The name UNDER ONE SAME SKY is inspired by the big top; a space where a group of people assembling together, a temporary meeting place where, each night, an improvised community of people gather to take in a live event. UNDER THE SAME SKY expresses the very essence of the show, which wishes to create a feeling of inclusion and interconnection between all the people gathered each evening – not only as spectators, but also as active participants in a communal experience live.
Tickets now on sale
Cirque du Soleil’s new show will be presented under the Big Top in Montreal’s Old Port starting April 23rd, 2020. Tickets are available at www.cirquedusoleil.com/underthesamesky