Sur Place Workshops present “Finding Your Voice: Writing Your First Short Play” with Rosanna Hall
In four weeks this class will teach the basics of stage craft and script writing for stage. This will conclude in producing a 15-20 minute stand-alone script, or an excerpt of a longer piece, including a plot outline.
Rosanna will provide a nurturing and inspiring environment to write, focusing on allowing writers to access their writing voice, and push themselves to learn how story works on stage, when played out in real time and space.
As part of the programme, Rosanna will offer participants the opportunity for one-on-one feedback on their script outline or draft, in addition to teaching dramaturgical skills in how to doctor script and improve writing craft.
Schedule (4 sessions)
- Thursday, January 23, 7:00-9:30pm
- Thursday, January 30, 7:00-9:30pm
- Thursday, February 20, 7:00-9:30pm
- Thursday, February 27, 7:00-9:30pm
Sur Place Media
5585 Avenue du Parc
Montréal, QC H2V 4H2
- Week 1: Everyone has a Story to tell. Introductions and format. What are stories and why do we tell them? The uniqueness of sharing story on stage, The difference between story and plot, the 7 parts of plot.
– Writing Exercise 1: Finding inspiration, turning our eyes and ears to the world around us.
– Writing Exercise 2: Finding conflict and change in our story.
- Week 2: Writing voice. Understanding character and dialogue. Key notes for writing for actors, stage images versus stage directions, finding physical writing impulse.
– Writing Exercise: 1: Making characters into people
– Writing Exercise 2: Writing Dialogue
- Week 3: Letting others in: How to give useful feedback and develop our ideas, tips for research, timed exercises, multi-sense inspiration
– Writing Exercise 1: Growing plot from character
– Writing Exercise 2: Using diagrams to structure and other tips.
- Week 4: Reasons to Remain. Sharing of scripts, 121 feedback on script, tips on how to edit and improve, key advice.
– Writing Exercise 1: Keeping energised
– Writing Exercise 2: Story swapping.
Rosanna Hall is an award-winning playwright and screen writer from Edinburgh, Scotland. Her work has been produced across the UK and in Russia and her first feature film is in production in collaboration with the Polish Film Institute. She is specialised at delivering workshops for a wide variety of people, having taught Undergraduate level at the University of Edinburgh to narrative story work with young offenders. She believes everyone has a story to tell and can help you explore yours. Coming to Montreal for adventure and to stretch her own writing muscles; Rosanna challenges you to also get out of your comfort zone and push yourself to write the story you have always wanted to tell for stage.