The translation of new work for the stage is an important part of Playwrights’ Workshop Montréal’s programming. To this end, the organization is partnering with the Cole Foundation for the six consecutive year to share its expertise with emerging translators by way of The Cole Foundation Competition for Emerging Translators. The successful candidate will receive a cash prize of $1000 and dramaturgical support on a new translation by renowned translator and dramaturg Maureen Labonté.
- Emerging Translators: You must have completed at least 1 translation which has received a public reading, publication and/or production.
- Because the focus is on developing translators, you must not have done more than 3 translations.
- Translations from French into English only.
- Full-length scripts, one acts or Theatre for Young People are all welcomed. Our expertise does not extend to the translation of musicals.
- A one-page letter of intent describing the project, its challenges and your reasons for wanting to translate the work.
- Your bio.
- A copy of the play.
- Written permission from the playwright.
- A 3 to 5 page sample of previous translation work, please include the corresponding original text.
- $1000 cash prize.
- Dramaturgical support from renowned translator, Maureen Labonté.
- A translation workshop with actors.
Application deadline: March 15, 2019
Please send your completed submission to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: The Cole Foundation Mentorship for Emerging Translators
Entries will not be accepted past March 15, 2019.