NUVO Musical Theatre is proud to announce an open call for auditions for its upcoming production of RENT!
The company is currently looking for 20 cast members who will be performing this English production, with huge success on Broadway. This show has a large ensemble with many roles, a lot of energy, big choreographies and songs. Each performer is essential.
To audition, you must be at least 16 years of age. This show deals with mature matters including sexuality, coarse language, and drug addiction.
To be considered, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 11:59 PM, on January 29th, including:
- A 90 second video of you singing a song from a musical in the style of RENT.
- A quick written description of your acting/dance training and skills.
- Your artistic resume (if you have one).
Montreal is a bilingual city. Francophones who are comfortable singing in English are welcome and encouraged to audition as well.
Selected applicants will receive, by email, a song and scene to work on and an audition time between February 11th and 17th, 2019. There will be a short dance callback after the private auditions for the ensemble and certain cast members.
The show will be rolling in Montreal at the end of the summer 2019 for two weeks (rights are being granted). Rehearsals will begin in mid-march. They will generally be either weeknights or late after-noon on Sundays. Rehearsal schedules will be given out to the selected cast.
Please note this is a non-union, unpaid community theatre production.
- ROGER DAVIS – A struggling musician and former drug addict. He is reminiscent of Kurt Cobain. Roommates with Mark in the loft and battles with being HIV-positive.
- MARK COHEN – Filmmaker and video artist. Knee deep in his own soul-searching, Mark is the typical young artist. He and Roger are roommates in the loft. A bit of a nerd.
- TOM COLLINS – A computer genius and liberal professor. He is a nurturer with a smooth and relaxed disposition. Used to be a roommate in the loft and is HIV-positive.
- BENJAMIN COFFIN III – The landlord of Mark and Roger’s apartment building. A former roommate in the loft, Benny traded in his personal morals for power and wealth.
- JOANNE JEFFERSON – A public interest lawyer and headstrong lesbian. She is smart and purposeful in all her decisions. Carries on a tumultuous relationship with Maureen.
- ANGEL DUMOTT SCHUNARD – The eccentric HIV-positive street drummer. A drag queen with an incredible gift of dance and a magnetic personality. He becomes Tom’s lover.
- MIMI MARQUEZ – An HIV-positive stripper with drug addictions. Slender and sickly, she conceals it all at her job in the local strip club. She lives in the same building as the loft.
- MAUREEN JOHNSON – An unpredictably zany performance artist. Maureen oozes sexuality and used to live in the loft. She has recently dumped Mark for Joanne.
- ENSEMBLE (Mrs. Cohen, Mr. Jefferson, Mrs. Jefferson, Mrs. Marquez, Mrs. Davis, Steve, Gordon, Paul, Alexi Darling, Homeless individuals, Junkies, Businessmen) – 5 male performers and 7 female performers. The ensemble is very important, having to play many different roles with solos and dancing in high-energy numbers. The ability to sing complicated harmonies and learn big choreographies are a must. All types of personalities and voices are welcome for these roles.
Book, music and lyrics by Jonathan Larson
Director/Musical Director: Nick Saanto
Assistant Director: Lia Karidas
Stage Manager: Rochelle Allen
Choreographer: Kelly-Ann Keller
Set designer: TBA
Costume designer: Aliya Matchett
Producers: Mathieu Lafrenière and Ahmed Sadik
NUVO is a new community musical theatre company who wants to bring forth musical theatre in Montreal, in both French and English, as professional as possible while being affordable. This organisation was created by musical theatre aficionados with one goal : please both artists and audience, by bringing original and energetic new productions. Trying to push up-and-coming performers, it will be producing many shows in the near-future for your entertainment.