Montreal company Snowglobe Theatre has announced it will be holding auditions for its upcoming opera double bill: Riders to the Sea and The Medium on January 13th and 14th, 2018.
Riders to the Sea (Ralph Vaughan Williams)
Running time: approx. 40 min
Vaughan Williams’ setting of the play of the same name. In the Aran Islands, Maurya dreads the loss of her last remaining and youngest son Bartley, after the death or disappearance of her husband and five sons. Her daughters Cathleen and Nora are helpless to protect her in the face of tragedy.
The Medium (Giancarlo Menotti)
Running time: approx. 1 hour
Menotti’s opera on his own libretto about a fraudulent, disbelieving medium who experiences inexplicable occurrences. Her teenage daughter Monica and Toby, a mute orphan, suffer the consequences of her growing paranoia.
“Both pieces have in common a tense and haunting atmosphere and we’re looking to explore creating that environment through both the music and staging.” – Snowglobe Theatre.
Saturday, January 13th, 10:00am – 3:00pm
Sunday January 14th, 3:00pm – 7:00pm
Please prepare one song or aria in English and one other aria of your choice.
To book an audition slot, please email Snowglobe at email@example.com
The show is scheduled to perform at Loyola Chapel from April 19th to 21st, 2018. Rehearsals will take place on week nights and weekend days, TBD based on cast availability. Rehearsals are scheduled to begin at the end of January.
*** Please note that the following roles have already been cast:
- Madam Flora
Riders to the Sea:
- Cathleen and Nora (sopranos): Maurya’s daughters.
- Bartley (tenor): Maurya’s youngest son.
- The Woman (mezzo-soprano): heard mostly from off-stage.
- Toby (mute): a young orphan boy, Toby is a completely mute part.
- Mrs. Gobineau (soprano) and Mr. Gobineau (baritone): an older couple who have lost a baby and cannot have any more children.
- Mrs. Nolan (mezzo-soprano): a widow who has lost a teenaged daughter.
Read the originally published casting call at: