Looking to get your child involved in theatre this upcoming season? From after-school and weekend courses to conservatory style programs, there are several institutions and educators in Montreal offering quality training for young performers of all ages and levels. Here’s our listing of professional facilities with registration open for the 2018 winter session.
At Geordie Theatre School (GTS), children and teens have the opportunity to build a solid foundation in acting by learning the craft from some of Geordie’s favorite theatre professionals who are passionate about teaching the next generation. Students are provided with a memorable experience that will help to increase their confidence, creativity and craft, as well as further nurture their love for the theatre.
- Programs offered: Public Classes available for juniors (ages 6-12) and teens (ages 13-17) and After School Classes (grades 1-6)
- Next session: 12 weeks from January – May 2018
Locations: Greene Centre, F.A.C.E. School, and Pierre Elliot Trudeau Elementary School in Rosemont
Info & Registration: Jessica Abdallah, GTS Director at email@example.com | (514) 845-9810
The Segal Centre Academy is a professionally staffed educational facility at the Segal Centre that offers high-calibre performing arts courses and workshops for children and young adults. The Academy nurtures creativity, collaboration and talent in drama, musical theatre, music, and dance.
- Programs offered: After school programs include ‘Broadway Stars’ (grades 2-8), ‘YAYA – Young Actors for Young Audiences’ (grades 2-7), and ‘Broadway and Beyond’ (grades 7-11). Day/week camps are also offered throughout the year (Ped Day, Passover, Spring Break)
- Next session: January 2018 – April/May 2018 (select after school programs)
Location: Segal Centre for Performing Arts, 5170 Côte-Ste-Catherine, Montreal, H3W 1M7
Info & Registration: Liana Wiener, Director of the Academy at
firstname.lastname@example.org | (514) 739-2301 x8331
NTS’ youth programs are inspired by the rigour and excellence of NTS’ core professional training programs. They cover various theatre professions, with workshops in voice, listening, movement, text analysis, scenography, costume design and stage management. Intensives happen during school breaks, and weekend classes are year-round. Classes are led by Canada’s leading theatre professionals.
- Programs offered: Youth intensive, Weekend Classes, Intro to Theatre, Interactive Workshops (ages 14-17)
- Next session: Year round (visit https://ent-nts.ca/en/youth-programs for updates)
Broadway Academy Westmount offers multiple courses and workshops specializing in music and musical theatre performance at the basic, advanced, and professional levels. In addition to providing conservatory style programs, the academy hosts workshops and masterclasses with guest artists performing on Broadway and in touring productions of New York musicals.
- Programs offered: Broadway Mini/Initiation (ages 3-6), Broadway Steps (ages 7-9), Let’s Go Broadway (ages 10-14), and Broadway Wings (ages 15+). Special programs in dance, voice, acting, music theory, and audition techniques are also offered. Private instruction available.
- Next session: begins January 2018
Montreal’s original Teen Touring Theatre school offers acting classes for children, teens, and young adults at all levels (beginner to professional). Workshop programs include Auditioning for TV and Film, Theatre, Musical Theatre, Directing, Improvisation, Stage Combat and more.
- Programs offered: Junior Classes (ages 7-12), Junior Tour (ages 12-17), and Senior Tour (ages 16-22). Private coaching and specialty workshop programs are also available for students pursuing professional careers.
- Next session: Begins mid September 2018
Roper Theatre Academy has grown out of a desire to make English-language theatre instruction more accessible to Montreal South Shore youth and children. Its mission is to provide a structured and nurturing environment for participants, guiding them in their pursuit of the dramatic arts.
- Programs offered:
- Musical Theatre Program (ages 7+)
- #TeenTheatre Teens (ages 13 to 16): Teens will explore social issues through short plays. Multiple roles for each participant: directing and stage management; acting; sound and lighting; set, prop, and costume design and creation.
- Next session: January 13th – May 5th, 2018
Originating from Vancouver, B.C., Rising Stars Jr. Acting Conservatory is moving to Montreal’s West Island in August 2017! Classes provide a fun, safe and educational space for youth to explore their inner performers at any skill level. Graduates of the conservatory style ‘Broadway Bound’ 36-week program obtain a completion certificate and the skills and knowledge to work as paid performers in the industry.
- Programs offered: Broadway Bound (ages 8-24), Bright Lights (ages 4-15+), and Movie Magic (ages 10-15)
- Next Session: January 8th to June 26th, 2018
Location: Rehearsal space will be announced 2 weeks before the start of class. All rehearsals will take place on the West Island in either Dorval or Pointe Claire.
Info & Registration: email@example.com | 1 (778) 994-7633
Stagecoach West Island provides quality part-time training in the performing arts for children aged 4-16 years old. Its aim is to nurture an develop young potential through singing, acting and dance classes in the West Island, stretching young imaginations and building confidence.
- Courses offered: Early Stages (ages 4-6) and Main Stages (ages 6-16)
- Next session: January 13th – March 24th, 2018
Location: Beaconsfield Unified Church, 202 Woodside Road, Beaconsfield, H9W 2N9
Info & Registration: Principal Johanne Hudon-Armstrong at firstname.lastname@example.org | (514) 827 9412
Theatre West has earned a 25 year reputation in the theatre community of Montreal as a proven leader in developing better focus and concentration among its young performers. Inspiring an imaginative and interactive creative community to evolve, it aspires to create a safe place for everyone to play in.
- Courses offered: Youth (ages 8-13) and Teens (ages 13-17)
- Next session: February 3rd to June 3rd, 2018 (16 weeks)
Professional performing arts training for children & teens with certified teacher and theatre artist, Julia Ainsworth (B.ED, B.F.A). Students are engaged in the creative process from rehearsal to production, and supported to develop self-confidence, personal expression and technical skills in performing arts.
- Programs offered: Kids (ages 8-12) and Teens (ages 13-16)
- Next session: January 13th – May 12th, 2018
Location: Les Studios Accento, 6889 Blvd St. Laurent (2nd floor) and Studio l’équilibre en movement, 1208 Avenue Van Horne
Info & Registration: Julia Ainsworth at email@example.com | (514) 346-0354
Over 10,000 Montrealers have attended classes at The Children’s Theatre since the school was founded in 1933 by Montreal legends Dorothy Davis and Violet Walters. The curriculum focuses on raising students’ level of self-confidence, employing techniques that bring out creativity and personality in young people.
- Programs offered: Foundations in Acting (ages 8-12), Jr. Musical Theatre (ages 7-11), Sr. Musical Theatre (ages 12-17), and Sr. Starlight Players (classes for teens & young adults with autism or social challenges)
- Next session: January 2018 (12 week Young Drama Program)
Serving Montreal’s Acting community for 25 years, M.S.O.P.A offers serious training in a safe, fun, and challenging environment, developing a craft that allows students to be truthful, emotionally alive and that helps them find the courage to express their thoughts. Students leave this workshop with an increased sense of self-esteem and confidence, as well as a growing love for the performing arts.
- Programs offered: Children (ages 5-11) and Teens (ages 12-15)
- Next session: January 20th – March 24th, 2018