Auditions for The Halloween Tree
Produced by Geordie Productions
Audition Dates: May 16 & 17, 2016
Deadline for Submission: Monday May 2, 2016
The Halloween Tree is a play by Amanda Kellock, adapted from the novel for young readers by Ray Bradbury. (A world premiere)
On Halloween night, 5 friends meet up to go trick-or-treating, but their dear friend, Joe Pipkin is missing. When they go to his house, he tells them he is sick and can’t come with them, but that he’ll meet them at The House, an old, deserted place in the ravine that none of them have ever dared to visit on Halloween night. When they show up to meet him, they encounter a mysterious man named Carapace Clavicle Moundshroud who offers to take them on a journey into The Undiscovered Country to find out the hidden secrets of Halloween – since they clearly have no idea what the night is really about. The kids are hesitant, but when Joe shows up weak and stumbling, and is whooshed away by dark forces into that same Undiscovered Country, it becomes clear that they must follow to try and save him. They travel through time and to different places, discovering some of the ways that people and cultures have honoured death – each discovering something about the costume they wear and the value of friendship. And just when they’ve come to terms with the fact that Joe has indeed been taken into the long night and is gone, Moundshroud (who we now know is Mr. D for Death himself) offers to make a deal…
The show involves a lot of physicality and actors becoming multiple characters. It’s a play about death that is full of life.
We are seeking actors to play the following characters (all of them 12 years old):
- Tom Skelton (Skeleton) – The natural leader of the group; thoughtful, sensitive, brave; he cares about his friends.
- Sally Babb (Witch) – Clever, outspoken, Tom’s second-in-command.
- Ralph Bengstrum (Mummy) – Book smart, but not so brave… yet.
- Fred Fryer (Caveman) – Good deep down, but quick to tease – especially Ralph; appears unafraid of anything.
- Billie Smith (Gargoyle) – Quietest of the group, but it’s because she’s listening. All heart.
- Joe Pipkin – The greatest boy you can imagine; so full of life.
Actors must be available between September 19, 2016 and October 30, 2016.
To submit, please send a headshot and resume to email@example.com. Actors will only be contacted if they have been selected for an audition. Those selected for an audition will be asked to prepare the following:
– Tell a 1-2 minute scary story (ideally your favourite from when you were a kid) in an engaging way. The story should involve at least three characters (you play all of them, obviously) and one object that gets used in multiple ways.
– Sing a very simple acappella song (30 seconds – seriously!)
– Your availability for May 16 and 17
Click here to read the original post published by the Quebec Drama Federation